Friday, January 20, 2012

Safe and Sound


      I often listen to music while writing, but this particular song has such strong emotions in it's quiet tune. It lead me not to make a song from a story but a story from a song. Just a snippet of a story, a single scene. I’m not here to dispute music, so let it simply stand as my humble opinion that Taylor Swift never really wowed me, until now. “Safe and Sound,” has such feeling, and I strongly encourage you to listen to it while you read this story. It makes my simple writing seem ten times better.

     
    The bombs outside aren’t enough to drown out my anguish. The last person left that I loved is gone. I did the best I could, I prayed and nursed him and hid him deep inside my heart so as they couldn’t claim him, but all in vain. Now he is gone like everyone else. Another victim.
      In a world of horror he was such a beckon of light. He was there, and if he could stay safely on this treacherous world then I could hold fast to him. His island of peace stayed firm in my horrible tumulus life. He reminded me to sing. He kept me believing that there was still good in the world. And now he is another victim.
       I had a large family but in the end it was just me left. I sat waiting for death to come get me, then he appeared an angel. He convinced me to come away with him, towards what he thought was safe. He was right, it had been a safe house. As in past tense.
      They had come. They had rigged it and just when I thought I could let my guard down, just when I thought I could securely begin reconstructing my life, with him in the center, they tried to blow us to bits. What did they care of the women and children in there? What did they care of the souls, that had seen so much, risked so much? They were willing to let us all end in a flash of fire. Well, it didn’t work. Only three died, though many others were bleeding. He an I ran to a deserted building, where I tried to heal him. But can one do for a hole in flesh?
      Even in the end he held my hand and told me that someday I would be safe. Someday, he promised. I swore to never forget him and right in front of me the lights went out of his eyes. By then the planes were already flying overhead, dropping tiny bombs on us who had suffered so much.
      “Don’t leave me here alone!” I cried to his unblinking eyes. I wiped my hands on my raggedy shirt and closed his eyes,  brushing his hair from his face. Suddenly a thought struck me. Yes, what was there stopping me?
      I stepped outside to fire filled valley and stood in a clearing. I stared at the grey sky, tiny figures of planes in the distance. There was only one place where we could be safe. Be safe together. I looked out, addressing no one and everyone. “You’ve always thrown everything you could at me! Hit me! Hit me with the best you’ve got!”
       I turned my head to take a last look at his face. It looked almost peaceful. “Wait for me,” I whispered. “I’m coming. And together we can be safe. Safe and sound.” 


-astrid lightly          

2 comments:

  1. Very nice to read your beautiful, whimsical bog, Ms. Lightly. Your writing teacher and Crystal are right. Just write, good or bad, it doesn't matter, just keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! seeing a comment truly a nice feeling and your words are true

    ReplyDelete